Saturday, January 22, 2011

I Died for Beauty

From one of our most beloved American poets, Emily Dickinson (1830-1886). A virtual recluse and unrecognized for her poetry in her lifetime, Dickinson wrote nearly 1800 poems. I appreciate the dedication to her craft and as an independent woman. A woman ahead of her time indeed, much like Jane Austin. Of course, Dickinson was born into a wealthy, Amherst, MA family and had the luxury of having time and a room of her own in which to create. Being a 19th-century romantic as well as an artist, a monk at heart, and a New Englander by birth, I consider her creative sister and inspiration. And what more noble ideal to die for than Truth and Beauty? May Truth and Beauty reign....

I died for Beauty - but was scarce
Adjusted in the Tomb
When One who died for Truth, was lain
In an adjoining Room -

He questioned softly "Why I failed"?
"For Beauty", I replied -
"And I - for Truth - Themself are One -
We Bretheren, are", He said -

And so, as Kinsmen, met a Night -
We talked between the Rooms -
Until the Moss had reached our lips -
And covered up - Our names -

--Emily Dickinson
From The Poems of Emily Dickinson edited by R.W. Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment