Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Reading Poetry

This quote is from one of my favorite movies. Dead Poets Society. "We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race and the human race is full of passion. Medicine, law, business...all noble professions but poetry, beauty, romance, love...this is what we stay alive for." - John Keating (played by Robin Williams)

I remember being very inspired by this film twenty years ago when it came out. In the midst of my grief and searching for answers to the meaning of life I found poetry. Poetry speaks to my soul and continues to inspire me daily as any reader of this blog will discern as I share many poems here. Here's one from one of my favorite contemporary poets. Feel free to share one of yours!

Self-Portrait
by David Whyte

It doesn’t interest me if there is one God
or many gods.
I want to know if you belong or feel
abandoned.
If you know despair or can see it in others.
I want to know
if you are prepared to live in the world
with its harsh need
to change you. If you can look back
with firm eyes
saying this where I stand. I want to know
if you know
how to melt into that fierce heat of living
falling toward
the center of your longing. I want to know
if you are willing
to live, day by day, with the consequence of love
and the bitter
unwanted passion of your sure defeat.

I have heard, in that fierce embrace, even
the gods speak of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment